February 19, 2017 | Tom Swanson | 1 Peter 1:3-5
COMMUNITY GROUP DISCUSSION QUESTIONS, 02/19/17 Sermon
1) Pastor Tom asked us a week ago to fill in the blank in the phrase, I wish people were… How did you or would you fill in that blank?
2) Human relationships are not always what we want them to be. We are often introduced to this disappointment at an early age. Can you recall one of those times from your childhood days? What helped you get through that time?
Getting into the Bible
3) In 1 Peter 1:3 we are told about a living hope that belongs to the believer through the resurrection of Jesus Chris from the dead. Look up these verses that speak about the resurrection: Romans 1:1-4,
1 Corinthians 15:12-19, 1 Corinthians 15:50-57, 2 Corinthians 4:13-14 and Ephesians 2:4-7. What is the nature or content of the hope that believers have through the resurrection of Jesus?
4) In Colossians 3:12 we are told to put on certain attributes because we belong to Christ. The word is used elsewhere in the New Testament for putting on literal clothes or getting dressed. Look up these other passages where we are encouraged to put on something: Romans 13:13-14, Ephesians 4:22-24 and Ephesians 6:10-12. What are we told to put on in these passages? What does that look like in daily life to put on that set of clothes?
Working it out in Life
5) Was there something in the message that caught your attention this last week, whether it set you to thinking, made you feel uncomfortable or encouraged you? What was it?
6) Pastor Tom pointed out that the good news of the gospel starts with the bad news of our shared affliction of sin. Talking about sin may make us and others feel uncomfortable, but what impact does it have on the gospel if that bad news is left out? Are there ways to talk about the issue without coming across as judgmental?
7) We filled out cards that said, I wish people were… Why do we have such ideas about what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior? Do people who do not know the Bible or follow Jesus have the same sort of ideas? Where do you think those thoughts come from?
8) It seems like it is easy for some of us to point a finger at others for their shortcomings, but then to excuse ourselves for our own. Have you ever struggled with that? What can be the result of that posture? What helps you to be more gracious towards others?
Series title: Wishful Thinking
Message 1: February 19
Message title: I Wish People Were…
Message Scripture: 1 Peter 1:3-5
Message summary: What aggravates or disappoints you most about other people? What do you wish others were like? It seems that many of us wish other people were kinder, less selfish, more understanding and more accepting of others. Wouldn’t it be great if other people just got their act together?! For Christians the Bible acts like a mirror. When we look in the mirror, we discover that we regrettable have a shared condition with all other people, but by God’s grace we can also have a shared hope!
1) Shared condition Romans 3:9-12
2) Shared hope 1 Peter 1:3-5
3) Shared responsibility Colossians 3:12-14