July 15, 2018 | Mike Flannery | Galatians 5:16-26
Community Group Questions
The desires of the Spirit and the desires of the flesh are fundamentally at odds with each other. Believers in Christ have been given the ability to live by the power of the Spirit and that will transform their lives in tangible ways. i.e. The Fruit of the Spirit. However, the flesh wants to corrupt, abuse, and misuse, everything God has given to us for its own purposes and agenda. Paul urges us to be a people who, since they have been given life by the Spirit, are to walk in line with the Spirit as our leader. He empowers us and produces great fruit!
Read: Galatians 5:16-26
1. Paul makes a great effort of showing that the Spirit and the flesh are at war with each other. Why is it important to comprehend that these two things are at odds with each other?
2. Do you see any of the desires and works of the flesh in your life? Does it make you uneasy?
3. Paul informs us that, ”…those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.” 25 ESV. How is that freeing? How have you seen the death of the flesh in your life since you have been saved through the power of the Gospel?
4. Do you ever try to produce the fruits of the Spirit apart from the Spirit? What happens?
5. Paul entreats us, “If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit.” What Fruits of the Spirit do you not show? What sin in your life have you not surrendered to the Spirit’s leading and empowerment in that area?
Memorize: Galatians 5:16 “But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.”